Ask Cindy: Can I Collect My Ex’s Social Security?

I heard that I can collect my ex-husbands social security. Is this true? Can you tell me how I can prepare for this and if it’s a good idea or not. ~Carol, Lovington, NM

Yes, you can collect on your ex husbands social security if certain conditions are met. It’s real important to note that what you receive will not affect what he receives. When you apply for social security, simply give them your social security number as well as your ex’s. Tell them you want to file on the one that benefits you.

Some women prefer to collect on their ex’s wages until they reach 70 - at which time they get more money on their own earnings. It can be tricky, but you need to check all avenues. You can also ask social security what you may or may not be eligible for. A good representative will explain it all to you. You may also choose to speak to a financial adviser.

The conditions to collect on your ex husbands social security are:

1.You must have been married for at least 10 years

2.You must not have remarried (or are a widow or divorced from a subsequent marriage)

3.You must be 62 or older


Information You Need to Apply for Spouse’s or Divorced Spouse’s Benefits -

For more information about Social Security benefits for divorced spouses, visit and look for the “Marriage, Divorce, Name Changes” section under the “Other Useful Links” drop-down menu on the right side of the home page.

divorce-coach-1 divorce-coach-1 divorce-coach-1

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *